Firefox is a great browser. Generally, it runs smoothly, very rarely crashes, loads pages quickly and has an incredible amount of add-ons available to it. Here are five add-ons which everybody should have, if you don't already.

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is absolutely fantastic. I've had it nearly as long as I've had Firefox. Basically, when you install adblock, it will come with a list of pre-defined known advertising websites and completely remove them from your browser. Things like those annoying flash adverts on youtube are automatically removed. Also, you can right click on images/left click the tab on flash media and add your own filter to block ads on certain websites. A definite must!


FoxyTunes
If, like me, you ALWAYS have your internet browser open, then FoxyTunes is definitely for you. I will always have music or a movie playing through iTunes or VLC. FoxyTunes lets you control multiple media players straight from your browser. This means you don't have to minimize what you're doing to change your music. I thought it seemed a bit of a gimmicky idea, but after trying it, I'm glad I installed it. Definiteley worth a shot.

StumbleUpon
Ahh StumbleUpon. While a huge time-sink, this has to be one of the best add-ons available for any browser. Users of the addon can submit a website, picture, blog or video to the site and when approved it's entered into circulation. When you install the addon, you see a little toolbar in your browser with a button that says "Stumble!" All you need to do, is click this button and you're taken to a totally random website that someone has submitted. I cannot even begin to tell you how addictive this is. Think of wikipedia, but better. I've discovered at least five websites that have gone into my daily "Oh it's been five minutes since I last checked, I wonder if they've put anything new on yet" routine.

Download Statusbar
This one might not appeal to everybody, but for me, it's a must. I find myself downloading A LOT of files. One thing that annoys me about FireFox is the download window. I know you can change your config so that it doesn't show, but that creates other complications. I'm quite petty when it comes to little things I don't like, which is why I'm still using the Windows 98 theme on Windows 7. Yes, I know, retro. Download Statusbar just puts a small bar at the bottom of your browser showing the status of your downloading files.

AutoProxy
Everybody has heard of a Proxy by now so there's no need to explain it. While I've never really felt the need, some people only like to go to... certain websites via a proxy. AutoProxy makes it easy. You no longer need to switch your proxy on. If you prefer to visit a website via proxy, just add it's domain to AutoProxy's preference. After that, when you surfing, specified websites will be transfered through proxy while leaving others connect directly.

Oh why not, I'll do a bonus addon.

Morning Coffee
This is quite a recent addon for me and I absolutely love it. Each day when I come online, I check around 10-12 websites. These are things such as Facebook, blogs, news websites, tech websites etc. I used to sometimes forget to check one for a day or two and while this was fun when I remembered as I had two days worth of information to catch up on, it was quite annoying. Hello Morning Coffee. Morning Coffee is a simple yet fantastic addon. All you do is click the icon when on a certain website and it's addon into your "Websites to open" cache. Then, each morning when you come onto your computer just click the icon and every website you've entered will automatically open. It couldn't be more simple.

I hope some of you readers find some of these add-ons as useful as I have, although I'm sure most of you will already have a fair few of them.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati